How? How this site works is that I act as a facilitator and you are the person with the experience. You answer the questions and post them on your own blog or site. I post your interview here with a link back to your blog/site, spreading the word to a large and interested readership so others can learn from you.
Huh? If you have questions about anything below or if you do not have a blog or website for posting your responses, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Newly Salted" and I will help.
Self-interview in 4 easy steps:
1) Start with a few sentences about yourself. Many readers will be learning about you for the first time - give background so readers know where you are coming from: Your name(s), boat name and type, hailing port, how long you have been cruising (or did cruise) in months, a very brief idea of the general areas where you've traveled (not a full list please), how or if you are open to being contacted. Also consider adding a picture or two of your boat and your crew to the post.
2) Answer some questions: You have three main options - A) You can answer the following 10 questions, or B) You can choose 10 questions from the IWAC Question Bank, or C) You can make up your own 10 questions.
- What (if anything) do you wish someone had told you before you started cruising?
- As you started cruising, what transitions did you find the most difficult?
- What mistakes did you make as you started cruising?
- What do you find the most exciting about your cruising life?
- What do you dislike about cruising that surprised you?
- What is something that you read or heard about cruising, that you didn't find to be true?
- What is something that you read or heard about cruising, that you found particularly accurate?
- Is there something you wish you had bought or installed before starting out?
- What piece(s) of gear would you leave on the dock next time? Why?
- What are your plans now? If they do not include cruising, tell us why.
- What question do you wish I would have asked you besides the ones I've asked you and how would you answer it?
4) Send me the link at email@example.com with the subject line "Newly Salted". I will format a version of it with a link-back to you, schedule it to appear on this site and let you know when it will go live. After it does, I'll be in touch with the link. Remember that I am cruising so if it takes me some time to respond it is only because I have been offline (or not had strong enough internet).